Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Wednesdays, dalmations, and diapers-- Oh My!

Wednesdays are our marathon days here at the D residence.

Allow me to illustrate.

7:00-7:45am, everyone up, dressed, ready for breakfast. Breakfast around 8:00-- usually something super simple like those fun yogurts-in-a-tube and toast. 8:15, tooth-brushing frenzy in the bathroom. Once all teeth have passed inspection, (and numerous globs of sparkly, neon blue toothpaste have been removed from the sink, cabinet, bathroom floor, and little faces,) coats, shoes, socks, hats, etc... are put on and it's time to hit the road. 8:30am, Daddy leaves the house with A, drops her at school, and heads to work. Simultaneously, I leave the house by 9:00 with little G to get him to baby music class by 9:30. (this only after I've put his shoes and socks on for the nine-hundredth time, since he likes to take them off & hide them these days. ) Once at music class, we spend a glorious hour singing, dancing, banging drums, shaking egg maracas etc... until it is time to go. We head out to complete our Wednesday errands and grab lunch before heading to pick A up from school by 12:45pm. From school, we head directly to dance class (no passing Go/collecting $200) where A proceeds to sashay, tondue, and shuffle-ball-change her way through an hour and fifteen minutes of a pink, frilly, tutu-filled class with her little ballerina comrades. After dance, we usually head to the bank for our Wednesday banking needs and, only once this is complete-- we finally head home.

Which means, we aren't usually home until almost 4pm.

That's right folks, almost an eight hour day out of the house, schlepping to and fro various kid-oriented activities in my sweet, sweet Mamamobile. (After having it for 2 years now, and I still refuse to call it a station wagon.)

It's a loooooooooooooong day to be out & about with two kiddos, and no naptime. (Repeat: NO NAPTIME.)

But we do it, every single Wednesday, and by endearingly referring to it as our "Marathon Day" (as opposed to a more derogatory choice, i.e. "brutal Wednesday" or "sucky Wednesday") we get through it with smiles on our faces.

(usually.)

And then there was...today.

Oy.

Today, when breakfast ran late. And those "convenient" little tubes-o-yogurt ended up in little G's hair, ears and nostrils before 8:30 am, necessitating a wardrobe change before we'd even accomplished anything substantial.  And A's socks were too "bumpy" under her leggings (?!) and a meltdown of princess proportions ensued. And we forgot to brush teeth altogether. (don't judge, it happens to the best of us on occasion...) And she was a late for school & missed morning snack. Today, where the second I turned my car on, the electronic digital dash thingamajiggy (I like to use the technical terms, clearly) screamed "LOW TIRE! LOW TIRE!", convincing me that my tire would blow out at some point unless I drove under 25mph at all times today, and swerved to avoid every single pot hole/tree branch/pebble/gum wrapper in the road.  Ahhhh today....where most of the other cherubs from little G's music class had nasty, juicy, and eerily similar coughs, so I spent the entire hour more preoccupied with sheltering him from the barrage of contaminated raindrops-o-saliva than reveling in my egg-maraca skillz. (fo' sho.) Today, where we got trapped at the post office behind an (adorable, but sloth-paced) ninety-something-year old couple who bought a book of stamps and subsequently proceeded to peel & stick each stamp on about five hundred pieces of mail, perfectly & straight, all while having a conversation with seemingly the only teller at the post office. Today, where little G had EIGHT poopy diapers  in a five hour time period (poor guy must have eaten something that didn't agree), and I was at the mercy of the two square inches of the Mamamobile trunk (damn you, third row seats!) to try and change a squirmy, flailing, preoccupied, squirmy, poopy...(did I mention, squirmy?) toddler. (sidenote, my car smelled just delightful for the better part of the day.) Today, where I spent the majority of A's dance class in the parking lot changing more poopy diapers, and wasn't there when A came out (with the other ballerinas) into the waiting room to invite the Mommies into the studio to watch their little performance...and started sobbing because she thought I had left her. ("No honey, Mommy's just elbow-deep in your little brother's poop...AGAIN! I'll be right in!!!")

Oh yes friends, it was just one of those days.

Needless to say, by 3:30 when dance class was over, I had vetoed the typical Wednesday banking obligations and decided we just needed to get home. (especially since little G's bum was stinky yet again, and I was completely out of diapers.)

As we pulled out of the Dance studio parking lot, little G sucking his thumb and quietly looking out the window, it occurred to me that this was the first moment of quiet I'd had all day. However this quiet moment was extremely short-lived, and almost as immediately as it had begun, it was interrupted by a little voice in the back seat.

"Momma, you know what?"


"What honey?" I asked her, peering at her eyes in the rear-view mirror.

She let out a loud, dramatic sigh, rolled her eyes, and threw her hands out, palms up.

"There's just NEVER a dalmation in our house, huh Momma!?"


"Oh, honey, you know we'd love to get you a puppy, but Daddy's allerg--"


"No, Momma!" she said, chuckling. "I mean, there's never a DAL-MATION in our house. Right?"


"Honey, I don't know what you are talking abo--"


And before I could even finish the sentence, I burst into hysterical laughter. I put the car in park, in the middle of the parking lot, and just laughed. And laughed, and laughed. My laughter was met with copycat giggles from the back seat. Smiling, silly, un-brushed tooth giggles.

"What, Momma? What is so funny about that? You say it all the time when we have crazy days like this, you say, 'Ay, ay ay, there's never a dalmation in our house' "


"Honey," I replied, my cheeks aching from laughter at this point as I struggled to get the rest of my words out.

"There's never a DULL MOMENT. That's what Mom says when we have crazy days like this. Never a dull moment!"


She burst into hysterical laughter as she realized that her dalmation statement was a bit... off.

"Ooopsie!" she giggled, clearly feeling a bit embarrassed about this little mishap...




And all of a sudden, everything about this Wednesday was just plain perfect.  :-)

No comments: