Thursday, November 11, 2010

Oh, by the way Mom...

"I don't need you to zipper me up anymore!"

And with those eight seemingly benign words resonating in my head, instantaneous tears of  Maternal pride began streaming down my cheeks.

Then, the following display of proof unfolded right in the middle of my living room:




I did it!


Motherhood is a crazy thing. I've spent five exhausted years silently hoping for the day when I wouldn't have to tie her shoes, zipper her coat, button her pants, brush her teeth for her, cut her food at dinner, etc...

And now that she can proudly display a big, bold check mark next to all of these things (and so many more...), I'd suddenly give anything to have those days back.

I suppose it's just another reminder to savor each and every moment of these amazing & fleeting years, because before I know it she will be telling me, "I passed my driving test Mom! You don't need to drive me to school anymore!" 


So for today, I will smile, cheer for her big accomplishment, and tell her how extraordinarily proud I am of her with a massive display of hugs and relentless smooches on the cheek.

And I am proud of her. Each & every step of the way-- from moments as big as first steps, first words, and first ballet recitals, to the little ones like these.

So incredibly proud.


Zipper away, Aves.



Zipper away!

No comments: