Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Dream big, Aves :-)

 (while driving in the car today, stopped at a red light...)

A: "Momma?"
 "Yesssss?"
A: "Well, I was thinking about something. And I have a really important question to ask you."
"Sure honey...what's up?"
A: "Well, I was wondering.  One day, when me and Gav get married and have a huge wedding, will you and Daddy be our flower girls?"

At this point, I had exactly two options:
A). Dive into a long-winded conversation about the unlawful nature of incest, and appropriate vs. inappropriate flower-girl etiquette, or
B). Smile, nod, and let her keep this (amazing, hilarious) dream alive.

You'll all be glad to know, I chose B.

Little moments like these make me realize that one day far too soon far, far away, she will no longer talk about marrying her baby brother, the self-proclaimed "handsomest little love of (her) life," because she'll realize the social consequences of such an idea.  She'll no longer build forts with him out of pillows on the living room floor, because she'll be too busy painting her toes while listening to boy bands on her very own pink iPod.  A day will come when her girlfriends and her own agenda will trump spending time with him, and he will inevitably come to me with tears in his eyes wondering why big sissy and her friends slammed the door in his face. Yes, that day will come. When she categorically denies ever having a tubby with him (with an overly dramatic Ewwwwwwwwww!) and becomes even more dramatic when I promise to prove this with photos.

So for now...I will let her keep these big dreams of marrying her baby brother alive. I'll even allow her to paint a magnificent picture in her mind of this incestuous glorious event, and plan every detail, right down to the cake, the dress, and of course, the flower girls: her Daddy and I.

And, keeping in mind the very fleeting nature of it all... I'm going to love and cherish every single second.  :-)

2 comments:

Krajcimama said...

Nate and Danika play wedding all the time...I blame Little Bear. I haven't corrected them for pretty much the same reason you haven't. I noticed that when we take pictures of them together, there is always one in the bunch where Danika is staring all goofy at Nate...like she's got a bad case of puppy love. They are soooo cute - and some day I'm going to find them all and print them out! :)

Ave-n-Gav's Momma said...

OMG! Little Bear must be the culprit here too! Ava is obsessed... and now that you mention it, I am having a vague recollection of an episode involving Emily marrying Little Bear. Funny how universal this phase is....and adorable too :) Thanks for sharing!!