Saturday, January 30, 2010

Saturday morning dreamin'....on such a winter's day

So I had a very vivid dream this morning that I was at Zumba class, and all of a sudden the instructor told us to pair up in partners. Well I get paired with none other than Amber Riley, (who plays Mercedes on Glee,) and I am then informed that we must perform an impromptu acapella version of MJ's  "The Way you Make Me Feel."   Clearly, I am confused because this is Zumba class, so why am I being asked to sing? I start to get very nervous and my palms get sweaty...

Luckily for me, I am awoken by Ava's voice in the distance.

"Mom...Mommm.....Mommmmy?? Are you awake?? Mommm?"

As I slowly wake up, I realize that she's not distant at all, she is right at my bedside.

"Can I come snuggle with you and Daddy?" she asks in a groggy, raspy, still 1/2 asleep state. Without my contacts in, I squint at the blurry red numbers on the alarm clock. Six-five-two. Ughhhhh, I think. Too early for a Saturday morning. But I answer my sweet girl with a smile and a:

"Sure honey, climb on in."

I haphazardly wrap my arms around her waist to give her a little boost up onto our bed (we have super-duper thick mattresses AND a platform bed, making "the mount" difficult for children), and plop her in her usual spot; in the middle, exactly between Jeff and I. Now normally, it takes her all of 5 seconds to ask for "some Saturday morning cartoon-ies, please?"  But alas, silence.

Strange silence.

Eerie silence.

Unprecedented silence.

Maybe she fell asleep!! I imagine in my delirious state, soon realizing that the probability of this actually happening is less than 1 percent.




"Umm, Mommy?" she finally breaks the silence, which felt like an hour.

Mmmm-hmmmm?" I barely mumble, lips pressed against the pillow and eyes still sealed shut.

"Why are you and Daddy both naked?"

This is when I peer under the covers and realize that my pajama shirt is completely off of my torso, and is hanging onto my right wrist for dear life.  (Believe it or not, this has been known to happen inadvertently in the middle of the night, if I am too hot under the blankets.  Apparently, in an groggy, sleeping haze, I will just rip my entire pajama top off and fling it to the floor...and no matter how many times it's occurred, it is always a very bizarre phenomenon to wake up shirtless the next morning.)  I also quickly notice that Jeff is only in boxer shorts...so in her eyes, and at first glance, it looks as though we are both in our birthday suits in bed.

Of course this immediately wakes a very freaked out Jeff out of a very sound sleep -  
"We are NOT naked!!!!!" he exclaims, jumping out of bed and embarrassingly scrambling to find a shirt.


"Yes you guys were," she giggles, and proceeds to make up a little ditty about it: 

"Mommy and Daddy, nak-ee in beddy, Mommy and Daddy, nak-ee in beddy..."

At the end of the day, all we can do is hope that this little "incident" doesn't surface to her conscious mind next week when she has the floor at preschool Show & Tell.


Happy Saturday morning, folks!

No comments: